Mixed Berry French Toast
I had been camping a few times in college and while I had fun, it’s not something that I regularly do. When I received an invite from al fresco to go “glamping” I was more than intrigued. I’ll be sharing more about the glamp grounds in a future post.
The invite included an Iron Chef competition! I was super pumped and had an amazing experience. We had a beautiful pantry filled with lovely ingredients and we were asked to create a breakfast. My partner, Becky, and I decided to go with French Toast.
Because we were camping we stuck with the theme and had grills to cook on. I started by melting butter in a cast iron pan on the grill. I let it melt and bubble, but not brown.
I whisked eggs and milk together and dipped french bread in the mixture, completely covering it. Once the excess dripped of the bread we put it into the frying pan to brown on each side.
In a cast iron pot over the grill we mixed strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and sugar until they begin to liquify. We really finished the dish with al fresco’s Apple Maple Chicken Sausage that we cooked on the grill.
After we were done cooking we went on to our plating and presenting to the judges. Hope you enjoy it as much as our judges did!
- french bread, sliced in 8 pieces about 3/4 of an inch thick
- 3/4 c milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c butter
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- al fresco Apple Maple Chicken sausage patties
- Melt butter in cast iron pan on the grill. Let it melt, but not brown.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture and completely cover. Let excess drip of the bread and put in frying pan. Brown on each side.
- In the pot over the grill mix the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and sugar until they begin to liquify.
- Cook sausage patties on grill.
- Plate, serve, enjoy.