Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
My husband and I love watching football games together. We usually make a spread of wings and other appetizers and munch through out the game. One of my new favorites is one I came up with from ingredients I had on hand in the house. These will definitely be on the menu when we watch the big game!
Then I washed the button mushrooms and pulled out the middles. I laid the mushrooms out on parchment paper.
I diced up the stems from the mushroom and set them aside. I then cooked my sausage. We had pork breakfast links on sale at the local market so I just used a box of them and made sure to crumble it up real well. I moved the sausage to another plate to cool, but kept that sausage grease in the pan.
I diced up onions and minced up garlic cloves and sautéed them with the grease in the pan. This gives them a great flavor. Once they started becoming fragrant I added the mushrooms and continued sautéing.
While that is cooking I mixed up my softened cream cheese, an egg yolk, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. I added the onions, garlic, and mushrooms to the mixture and then the sausage. I mixed it well until combined.
I then stuffed the mixture into all of my mushrooms and cooked them.
The result was delicious!
What is your favorite big game appetizer?
- 24 oz white button mushrooms
- sausage (I use pork breakfast sausage)
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and dry mushrooms. Twist off stems. Chop mushroom stems and set aside.
- Cook and crumble sausage finely. Remove to a plate and cool.
- Reduce sausage grease to low and add onions and garlic to it. Sauté for about 3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in mushroom stems and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- In a bowl combine parmesan cheese, yolk, salt, and pepper. Add onion and garlic mixture. Then add sausage and mix until completely combined.
- Stuff mushrooms and put them on a parchment lined pan.
- Cook in oven for 25 minutes.